When I look at auctions by the big houses there is always something interesting and ALWAYS out of my price bracket. Below are my favorite picks if money were no object…. it a bit of a long list.
Now if all of this landed at my home tomorrow I’d be delighted but a bit scared where to put it all (especially all the lights!). But I know a few friends and clients who’d be interested in long loans. Anything take your fancy?
Today is Phillips de Pury’s auction and there are some beautiful pieces that I’d want on my “list”. Actually there was A LOT I liked on this auction listing.
WANT WANT WANT all of the above
1) Gio Ponti Unique armchair c1948 estimate $18-24,000
2) Line Vautrin Mirror c1955 estimate $18-24,000
3) Vladimir Kagan Walnut Flip-top console c1959 estimate $7-9,000
4) Serge Mouille “Antony” wall light 1954 estimate $4-7,000
NEED NEED NEED all of these above too
1) Gio Ponti Illuminated cocktail cabinet c1940 estimate $18-24,000
2) Gio Ponti Ceiling light brass & painted metal c1955 estimate $12-18,000
3) Hans Wegner “Ox” armchair model no. 46 c1960 estimate $10-15,000
4) Serge Mouille Set of three “Grosse Moule” ceiling lights, c1955 estimate $40-60,000
1) Paavo Tynell Brass Floor lamp model no. 10502 c1946 estimate $5-7,000
2) Piet Hein Pair of “Ursa Major” candelabra c1953 estimate $6-8,000
3) Jean Prouvé “Compas” cafétéria table model no. 512 c1953 estimate $6-8,000
4) Le Corbusier Wall light from La Maison du Brésil c1957-1959 estimate $3-6,000
Tomorrow 15th December Sotheby’s also has a 20th Century design auction (the images are so poor here, sorry their website really isn’t great). Only really WANT WANT WANT the Serge Mouille light. oh and maybe the Eames chair as well.
1) Finn Juhl Love seat model No 48 c1948 estimate $8-12,000
2) Serge Mouille two arm light sconce circa1950 estimate $15-20,000 WANT WANT WANT
3) Charlotte Perriand bookcase estimate $80-120,000
4) Charles & Ray Eames LCW Lounge chair wood c1950 $4-6,000
Finally on December 17th is the Christie’s Important 20th Century Decorative Arts & Design auction.
1) Jean Prouve 1950’s “Bridge Direction” lacquered steel, oak and leather armchair estimate $15-20,000
2) Serge Mouille four-light painted metal sconce circa 1954 estimate $50-80,000 NEED NEED NEED
3) Gio Ponti pair of leather and stained wood armchairs for the Parco dei Principi Hotel circa 1964 estimate $15-20,000 WANT WANT WANT
4) Jacques Adnet leather, brass and painted metal desk and chair circa 1950 estimate $10-15,000